[Gllug] Broadband options

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Sun Oct 10 19:16:19 UTC 2010

On 10 October 2010 13:25, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-10 at 10:00 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>> Hello,
> In a few test areas, BT are providing fibre to the home - we have it
> here - and they basically provide a fibre terminator that converts the
> optical signal to twisted pair - this is them distributed around your
> house on the existing cabling.  However, the data port is properly
> separate, and you can get much higher data rates (>150 Mb/s is possible
> but not available - that's what I get with similar set-up in Finland).
> BT want the data connection to provide cable TV services, and aren't
> really interested in providing good quality 'net connections (despite
> their advertising), as they don't think that they can make much profit
> on it!

I find this really strange.

I have Cable TV from Virgin, We only have it because its free (WIth
the Broadband and Phone due to the package were on), and we are not
currently using it, I don't see why there is money in more TV
channels.

The only people who really want extra TV channels are those that want
to watch Golf, Premier League Football or hmm Cricket. Once the HD
Freeview goes National I can't see any advantage what so ever. and if
you go buy a box you can already get FreeSat.

Now what really sells is Interactive Services, and that means the
Internet Really, which they can't make any real money from due to the
fact that people want the service for Free or very cheap. Plus there
is plenty of competition.

I don't believe the TV market is as big as they believe and I'm
waiting for the bubble to burst like it started with OnDigitial (or
what was it called (the Precursor to FreeView)).

Peter.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk