[Gllug] Apache update failing in Ubuntu 10.04

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 17:40:27 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 06:28:34PM +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Getting these messages when I try to install updates in Ubuntu...
>
> E: apache2.2-common: subprocess installed post-installation script
> returned error exit status 1
> E: apache2-mpm-prefork: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> E: apache2: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>
> Had a quick google and found a forum poster who claims he fixed the
> error by completely uninstalling Apache and then reinstalling it. While
> that may work it's not a production box and it still seems to be running
> fine I so thought I'd ask here first: how might I go about debugging the
> problem in situ? I assume there's must be some more detailed error
> messages lurking in a logfile somewhere, but where might they be?

The post installation script for the apache2.2-common package is:
	/var/lib/dpkg/info/apache2.2-common.postinst

On my Ubuntu 10.04 there that last command that might exit with
status code 1 is:
--------
# Automatically added by dh_installinit
if [ -x "/etc/init.d/apache2" ]; then
        update-rc.d apache2 defaults 91 09 >/dev/null || exit $?
fi
--------

You could check that the exit code for this command by running:
	sudo update-rc.d apache2 defaults 91 09 ; echo $?