[Gllug] Apache update failing in Ubuntu 10.04

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sun Oct 10 19:37:06 UTC 2010

On 10/10/10 18:40, John Edwards wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 06:28:34PM +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Getting these messages when I try to install updates in Ubuntu...
>>
>> E: apache2.2-common: subprocess installed post-installation script
>> returned error exit status 1
>> E: apache2-mpm-prefork: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>> E: apache2: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>>
>> Had a quick google and found a forum poster who claims he fixed the
>> error by completely uninstalling Apache and then reinstalling it. While
>> that may work it's not a production box and it still seems to be running
>> fine I so thought I'd ask here first: how might I go about debugging the
>> problem in situ? I assume there's must be some more detailed error
>> messages lurking in a logfile somewhere, but where might they be?
>>
> The post installation script for the apache2.2-common package is:
> 	/var/lib/dpkg/info/apache2.2-common.postinst
>
> On my Ubuntu 10.04 there that last command that might exit with
> status code 1 is:
> --------
> # Automatically added by dh_installinit
> if [ -x "/etc/init.d/apache2" ]; then
>          update-rc.d apache2 defaults 91 09>/dev/null || exit $?
> fi
> --------
>
> You could check that the exit code for this command by running:
> 	sudo update-rc.d apache2 defaults 91 09 ; echo $?

Hmm, that's interesting, the exit code is 0 which means OK doesn't it?

 >>> System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/apache2 already exist.
 >>> 0

I just tried running the whole script and it returns 0...

 >>> r0g at steppa:/var/lib/dpkg/info$ cd /var/lib/dpkg/info/
 >>> r0g at steppa:/var/lib/dpkg/info$ sudo ./apache2.2-common.postinst;
echo $?
 >>> 0

I didn't know how to display the error code before so thanks for that :)

I just ran update manager again and it came back with "Your system is up
to date" but I think that's because all the other updates installed OK,
reassuringly. I don't know if it will happen again next time I have
updates to install, it has done the last few times I did but I guess
I'll have to wait and see now.

Thanks for your help,

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk