[Gllug] Garmin satnav and Linux.

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sat Sep 18 18:50:44 UTC 2010

--------

Chris Bell writes:

>The www.garmin.com website lists an upgrader that only works with
>selected M$ offerings or MAC, and only one free map upgrade. I have
>never found a need for a satnav. Can anyone please give advice? Are
>further map updates needed frequently, and are they expensive? Thanks.

Garmin are bastards. The map data can be downloaded freely, IIRC, but
there's no way to get it onto the device without using their software.
Various people have asked them about providing specs so someone can
write something for Linux, but so far, they've refused. Consequently,
mine has never been updated, so no, frequent updates aren't necessary.
They're nice, but not essential.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk