[Gllug] OT smartphone advice

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Apr 13 18:20:05 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 16:28 +0100, Dylan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Anyone fancy sharing advice or opinions on the current crop of smartphones?
>
> What's the word on Android vs. whatever else is out there (NOT iphone - don't
> want anything from Apple)?
> How is the internet service from the various providers?
>
> Cheers
>
> Dylan

Mrs H and I both use Samsung Galaxy S' on Orange.  Superb results,
pretty fast web browsing when mobile, and sensible charges.  They also
can now use the T-Mobile network (since their recent amalgamation), so
their coverage is fantastic.

The SGS is far and away the best phone I've seen so far, and it's well
worth playing around with the OS - it's pretty much entirely open.  I
flash upgraded from Android 2.1 to 2.2, and have briefly flirted with a
pre-release version of 2.3 (that was a bit rough around the edges).
It's an interesting platform to experiment with!

Other friends use (and swear by) the HTC Desire and the latest Google
offering.  Both seem very good, but the HTC is a bit bigger than the SGS
and I haven't really played with the Google one yet.

So - my vote is for Samsung Galaxy S on Orange.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk