[Gllug] Phone scam?

sean S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 16:00:10 UTC 2011

On 19/04/2011 16:31, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 11:59 +0100, sean wrote:
>
>> many police forces are moving away from having police officers doing
>> computer forensics work and are hiring civilian technical officers
>> instead, mostly with a job spec that includes computer related degree.
>> their abilities are a different discussion.
> The jobs I saw advertised required the usual "MCSE" and other similarly
> worthless "qualifications".  You may have seen a few more enlightened
> Dibbles through your course, but I can assure you that the vast majority
> still see computers as electronic typewriters, and have no interest
> whatsoever in actually trying to do anything useful with them.

anyone who sees computers as electronic typewriters is very unlikely to
be involved in doing day to day computer forensics.

part of a 2008 job spec to demonstrate that MCSE or similar were not
even enough 3 years ago.

The role

This role involves collecting, extracting, interpreting and presenting
digital evidence to support criminal investigations. This encompasses
many technical and non-technical disciplines such as forensic data
recovery, analysis of digital evidence, composition of technical
reports, planning the execution of search warrants, interviewing
suspected offenders and presenting evidence in court.

Personal qualities and skills

The successful candidate will ideally hold a BSc/MSc in Computer
Science/Computer Forensics (or equivalent experience) and be able to
demonstrate significant technical ability.

Your knowledge of computer software and hardware will be thorough and
will include PC architecture, operation, connectivity and networking (in
particular, knowledge of the underlying protocols of the internet such
as HTTP, SMTP, POP, TCP/IP and NNTP.)

You will have a good knowledge of a variety of operating systems and
understand the core principles of data storage.

Knowledge of software development and programming languages will be
advantageous as will previous experience as a digital forensics
practitioner.

To balance these technical attributes, you will need to be a highly
motivated team player with excellent written and oral skills.

You will have the ability to manage a high caseload and must have the
flexibility to adapt to this dynamic area of modern police work.

regards

sean

> C.
>

> --

The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
guarantee.  Registration number: 977818 England.  Registered Office:
309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW, UK.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk