[Gllug] how reliable is netcraft?

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Mon Dec 5 12:12:28 UTC 2011

On 05/12/11 11:44, Shannon Carver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a long time lurker, and ever so occasional poster, but this one
> caught my eye.  I know from my experience with external meetings and
> hosting interviews that a candidate bringing up something like this
> usually doesn't go down very well at all, especially if its under
> researched and/or quoted from somewhere like Netcraft.  I'd firstly
> make absolutely sure the information was correct, and secondly gauge
> the mood/manor of the interviewers, last thing you want to do is throw
> away a potential job because you come off as cocky.
>
> I'm of the opinion that a job interview should be about proving your
> ability and winning the job, not pointing out (potentially
> insignificant) faults in the employers current process.  Other's may
> not share my opinion though!

That's good advice. Every interview is different because every
interviewer is different. You need to find out what they want to see in
a candidate and then prove that you have it. It's possible that the
interviewer is trying to get the system updated and would be grateful
for any additional ammunition for that argument. They may mention that
their systems need updating and at that point you can prove that you did
your homework. Or they may have a good reason for staying with the old
version.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com