[Gllug] how reliable is netcraft?

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Mon Dec 5 12:02:49 UTC 2011

On 05/12/2011 11:16, John Levin wrote:

> My first concern is that netcraft may not be entirely accurate. How
> much faith should I put in their results?

Very little but you should be able to verify it for yourself. Check the
HTTP headers and the HTML source code for clues. Quite a few CMS
products will put the version number in a header. A good sysadmin will
disable that of course but many don't.

I'd also second what Shannon said, as a hiring manager I don't want to
be told what we're doing wrong, unless I specifically ask. We probably
have a pretty good idea ourselves and you don't know the reasons why
it's an old version.

It's still worth doing the research though, it might give you some clues
about the type of organisation you're interviewing.

Good luck with the interview.

Simon.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk