[Gllug] Reasonable Salaries

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Tue Feb 1 11:36:39 UTC 2011

On 01/02/2011 10:55, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> So what would people consider a 'reasonable' salary, it need not be
> market-leader compensation grades. Were looking for graduates with 65%
> or better aggregate results in computer sciences / IT. Working in North
> London. Initially it will only be regular work hours, after a few months
> expanding into doing on-call 24/7 cover.
>
> I dont like the word probation, but the terms of employment would be
> along those lines. One year of the probationary setup leading upto a
> permanent job and a XX % bump in salary. I honestly feel it would be
> more like an apprenticeship leading upto them being able to sit through
> a platform specific interview. Perhaps an RHCE at the end of the year ?
> We might even throw in the costs for the exam's if that helps bring in
> interest.

I'm not sure what the salary ought to be but if you want to make it
apprenticeship style I think you need to make training an integral part
of the package, not just something you 'throw in'.

I would structure it as a 1 or 2 year fixed term contract, which would
have all the benefits of normal full time employment in terms of sick
pay, holiday entitlement etc.

Progression to a permanent contract would be at your discretion, the
availability of vacancies at the end of the initial period and dependent
on passing relevant training courses and certifications.

Those needn't be just technical qualifications, you could include
personal development training such as dealing with difficult customers,
assertiveness and other 'soft' skills.

The benefit for you is that you get someone at a cost effective rate but
more importantly you get to train someone in 'your' way and then if they
don't make the grade you can wave them off at the end of the period.

The benefit for them is that they get valuable training and work
experience which will be very useful in competing against the mass of
other IT workers looking for work !

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk