[Gllug] Bridging/routing

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue Jun 14 08:52:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 09:41:31AM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> I finally, after many more hours of trying, have my wired <--> wireless
> bridge up and running well - though it is all head together by the
> equivalent of string and brown paper.
>
> Actually the most difficult issue was addressing and routing.
>
> Right now the bridge and the ethernet port have the same IP address -
> which seems less than satisfactory, but is this something I should worry
> about?

Insufficient or inaccurately worded information.  An ethernet port
doesn't have an ip address, but it may be connected to something which
does.  What is the original thing with the ip address?  Your worksation?
Your ADSL router?

Whatever the answer, it probably isn't a good idea for the bridging
device to share the ip address, no.

--
Bruce

A problem shared brings the consolation that someone else is now
feeling as miserable as you.