[Gllug] Bring Your Own Server

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 14 08:44:26 UTC 2011

On 13 June 2011 21:26, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:
>> Your server will die very quickly - river water will be so full of
> impurities that it will clog the cooling system in no time, leading to
> massive overheating problems, which will kill your server.
>
> You could hope that the mystical properties of the water will allow it
> to defy the basic principles of thermal physics and fluid dynamics, of
> course.

This is true, however what you do is use the river/lake as a heat sink
- you use purified water in the internal pipework,
and circulate this through a heat exchanger to reject the heat to the
river/lake water.

> "Water-cooled" systems I've worked on seldom use actual water!  Freon is
> the favourite.

Freon yes.
Also liquid carbon dioxide if anyone is interested - google fro a
company called Trox.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk