[Gllug] Could you build a distro?

Krishna Birth krishnabirth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 10:26:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:57 AM, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 19:33 +0000, Krishna Birth wrote:
>> I want a linux distro. Could you tweek an existing distro e.g. Ubunto
>> oe Fedora?
>>
>> Please tell me if I wanted a logo installed, put fonts, remove other
>> fonts at console/terminal, verbose, gui, apps and perhaps put a
>> keyboard app, startup browser with specific website, what would you
>> charge for live or install distro and also for regular maintenance?
>
> Yes I can and I have done so. Doing it properly takes a lot of effort.
>
> You've asked what someone would charge. In order to get a realistic
> response to that you will need to give a clearer indication of what you
> actually want.
>
> Do you want to launch a new commercial distro with proper support?
>
> How specific a user experience do you want to provide?
>
> What target market are you considering for the distro?
>
> --

I stand corrected you are the third one showing interest.

Regarding your questions.  Yes I could answer them now:

> Do you want to launch a new commercial distro with proper support?

This is a not a commercial distro.

> How specific a user experience do you want to provide?

It should have a name, branding and user experience resources you
normally have on the big successful distros, e.g. Ubuntu and Fedora
etc.  I found Fedora to be better in a particular problem recently.  I
could not find a practical solution for Logitech USB Speakers S150
usage.  Solutions were there on other distros sites, though they would
not function for me for some reason.  Fedora distro did it and now I
can play the speakers.   Peppermint Linux and CrunchBang Linux I also
found to be useful because they had flash incorporated into the Live
CD and I could watch videos instantly on YouTube.

> What target market are you considering for the distro?

The market is the world.  Generally it is going to be the open-minded people.

Regards,

Meeku
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk