[Gllug] Multiple phones on a home network with single router

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Thu Mar 17 06:26:03 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 01:03 +0000, Sanatan Rai wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I have a very basic question about home networking.
>
>     I have a single router that is plugged into the phone socket via
> a splitter. The phone is also plugged into the splitter. Everything
> works fine.
>
>     I want to connect another telephone set in another room. When
> I connect this other phone, a) it gets all the noise from the router,
> and b) I can't access the internet anymore. So clearly, this would
> not work. So I bought another splitter and connected the phone
> through that, and that doesn't work either. In retrospect, I wouldn't
> expect it to work as the splitter is just a passive device, right?
>
>     However, it _should_ be possible to connect multiple phones
> while using a router, right?
>
>     What am I doing wrong?
>
>     Thanks and apologies in advance for being this clueless.
>
> --Sanatan

In the simplest set up, with multiple sockets on a line, each telephone
requires its own "micro filter", and if you have a Sky box, that'll need
one too.  Get another filter, and you're sorted.

There is a slightly better way of setting things up (if you can be
bothered): if your router is located at the "master" socket - that's the
first one that comes in from the street - you can get a replacement
faceplate that includes the filter and has two socket holes on the front
- one for ADSL and one for the telephone.  Extension phones then connect
to the IDC connections inside the socket, but these terminals are AFTER
the filter, so all the extension phones are filtered.  This can
sometimes give slightly improved data rates, too.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk