[Gllug] QT GUI Project

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue May 10 16:08:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 15:53 +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:

> For many workplaces the reason they run Windows is very simple - they
> are locked into it either by applications that are only available to run
> on Windows (which may have licensing implications!) or because they must
> interchange data which is locked to formats specific to Windows based
> applications.

No.  The real truth is that they're scared of migrating to something
that "can't have any support if it's free".  Really it's just a fear of
the unknown.  File interoperability and ease of use aren't an issue any
more.  Secure, stable, cheap computing really is the order of the day!

I forced two migrations by taking proposals straight to the
bean-counters, cutting out the clueless middle-management and the "IT
support" monkeys.  When a bean counter sees a bottom-line that he can't
deny is radically cheaper than the licensing for the whole mess of
machines that a company has, he'll fight tooth and nail to get it
adopted - especially in these times where the bean counters are getting
bonuses based on the savings they can achieve!

There is another up-side to migration - you get rid of the spotty youths
employed to keep the Windoze rubbish working, and replace them with one
or two guys who really understand how it's all meant to work!  You can
also dispense with swathes of worthless middle-management.....

It just takes a little effort and you must remember not to "preach"!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk