[Gllug] Alternatives to googlemail

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Tue May 31 09:20:26 UTC 2011

Nix wrote:

> It is as it was said long ago: all programs will grow until they can
> read mail. I think vim is subject to a special form of this: it is
> growing until it becomes Emacs

My personal phrase of choice are

All programs go though 3 phases.

Phase 1, tightly written program does exactly what it says on the tin
really quickly.
Phase 2, configuration file, a configuration is added to the system
allow the program to be tweek to make it more useful and cope with
special cases.
Phase 3, programming language, program engine is now so generic that a
program has to be written in this custom language to cope with the
simple cases in phase one.
and now repeat

The other one is (first observed when java came out)

As machines increase in power the number of layers of virtual machines
will increase to reduce the speed to the existing level.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk