[Gllug] QT GUI Project

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue May 10 17:07:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 17:08 +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> No.  The real truth is that they're scared of migrating to something
> that "can't have any support if it's free".  Really it's just a fear of
> the unknown.  File interoperability and ease of use aren't an issue any
> more.

I'm afraid that is simply a fantasy.

In the real world there are still plenty of applications that only run
under Windows and emulation layers are not a good solution.

File interoperability remains a serious problem - even where a lot of
work has been done on it (ie for .doc, .xml, etc files) it often gives
poor results and tends to be a one way process which means you cannot
send files to business partners, etc.

> I forced two migrations by taking proposals straight to the
> bean-counters, cutting out the clueless middle-management and the "IT
> support" monkeys.  When a bean counter sees a bottom-line that he can't
> deny is radically cheaper than the licensing for the whole mess of
> machines that a company has, he'll fight tooth and nail to get it
> adopted - especially in these times where the bean counters are getting
> bonuses based on the savings they can achieve!

The idea that bean counters are properly qualified to determine what
systems best meet the needs of a business is a rather idealistic. In a
very small business it's likely that the bean counter is actually a real
business manager but in larger businesses that wont be true and relying
upon such a person to know what is needed may result in unfounded
assumptions.

> There is another up-side to migration - you get rid of the spotty youths
> employed to keep the Windoze rubbish working, and replace them with one
> or two guys who really understand how it's all meant to work!  You can
> also dispense with swathes of worthless middle-management.....

I've seen far too many spotty youths touting themselves as Linux sys
admins to buy into this one.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk