[Gllug] Bootable USB backup like OS X dmg?

gvim gvimrc at gmail.com
Tue May 24 21:58:33 UTC 2011

On 24/05/2011 19:56, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> I'm a bit curious why it needs to be bootable.  You could rsync the
> data and rely on a standard live CD or USB key for the "bootable" bit.
> That would get you up and running just as quickly, the only
> disadvantage being that your replacement computer would need 2 x USB
> ports or 1 x USB + 1 x CD drive, which let's face it is not that much
> of a limitation.

The bootable bit is the beauty of it all :-) I've been using Mac OS X for years, with Linux mainly for servers, but vowed that if the Jobsian walled garden over-extended its reach I would move to desktop Linux. One of the things I really like about OS X is being able to keep bootable, smart-updatable disk image backups with Super Duper. 'Seems it's not quite so straightforward with Linux.

gvim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk