[Gllug] Computing At School

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sun Apr 29 11:50:54 UTC 2012

I've previously mentioned the CAS initiative by the BCS. The intention
is to change the way computing is taught in schools. The existing "ICT"
syllabus has largely been used to teach "digital literacy" which
apparently means how to use a word-processor and how to build flashy
Powerpoint presentations. At least that's how some schools are
delivering the syllabus.

CAS wants to change that by teaching "computational thinking" and
programming. Firstly this is an invitation to anyone interested in the
teaching of computing to sign up to the project if they have something
to contribute. There are two mailing lists one for discussions and one
for those making more substantive contributions. The central web site is
at http://www.computingatschool.org.uk/ where volunteers will be welcome.

The project includes a number of teachers and other contributors who are
trying to avoid being locked into Microsoft Office running on Windows.
There are others who would like to try out Linux but have to persuade
their network managers that it's safe to do so. Some hand-holding from
the Linux community could help.

I have failed to take the necessary step backwards and appear to have
volunteered to do some work for the project. I am going to be collating
resources available to teachers, students and most importantly the
parents of students. The teaching covers every level of student from
average seven year olds up to uber-geek hackers of 18 ready to start
their own software house from a back bedroom. The aim of the project is
to persuade at least some of the students that computing is a sensible
career choice and one that they might enjoy. Another objective (my
particular hobby-horse) is to teach useful skills to the ones that don't
take it up as a career but later have to work with analysts and programmers.

So I'm shaking the begging bowl. I'm not looking for cash, what I need
is help from the Linux community. That could be from experienced Linux
sysadmins helping deal with the occasional obstructive Linux-phobic
network admin. It could be from people who have taught programming and
know of accessible resources. I'm particularly interested in hearing
from parents whose children have learned to program; any platform, any
language.

Feel free to forward this message to anyone else who may be sucker
enough to help out. Please email me with any resources that we may be
able to use, or if you want more information.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com