[Gllug] home server rack - quiet options

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Feb 29 11:32:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:10:48PM +0000, Nix wrote:
<snip>
> "Simultaneously insane, wonderful, and terrifying" you mean. Given how
> noisy most rack-mountable gear is, I imagine this solution is restricted
> purely to the deaf and the soon-to-be-deaf (unless you plan to leave the
> ikearacks in the garage and tell all your neighbours that you're running
> a fleet of cars in there 24/7 with the garage door closed).

Not all rack mount gear is noisy, you just need to be careful about
what you buy.

Also the music and events industry were using 19" racks before
computers were, often in flight cases and on wheels. There is a
company called Canford that do a great range of 19" rack kit,
including fridges and wine racks:
	http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/20796/13-024_CANFORD-FRIDGE-Rackmount-13U
	http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/11-231_CANFORD-RACKWINE-Winerack-rack-mount-3U-black