[Gllug] Debian 6.04 trouble with X

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Feb 29 09:27:54 UTC 2012

On 28 Feb 2012, Tethys . said:
> I don't know if it's the same problem or not, but I had exactly the
> same issue with my Radeon when using kernel modesetting. Disabling KMS
> gave me a back a stable image[1].

There have been several bugs with these symptoms, generally fixed in KMS
itself, almost all caused by hardware bugs (of which some mobile Radeons
in particular have a wonderful array).

> [1] This is why I get very annoyed about the proposals to drop support
> for anything except KMS. I agree that architecturally it's the right
> design and it's great when it works, but it's simply not ready yet.

I've not found a machine on which KMS doesn't work for nearly a year
now. The proposals to drop all the remoting parts of X on the grounds
that 'nobody' uses them, now *those* I find annoying.

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk