[Gllug] [OT] data protection 'phone calls

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 10:55:59 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 31 Jan 2012 11:58:01 Alain Williams wrote:
> Can anyone point me to succinct advice (preferably from the UK govt, police,
> ICO, ...) that says that it is good practice to for an organisation to
> provide proof of who they are when the 'phone someone to discuss
> private/sensitive matters. I have tried googling, but not really come up
> with what I am looking for.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/ManagingMoney/KeepingYourMoneySecure/DG_10035798
"Many scams rely on you handing over or being tricked out of information that
you usually keep secret. To protect yourself, always be wary about giving
personal information to anyone you don't know (or haven't checked out), or to
a firm or person you're unsure of."

http://www.gloucestershire.police.uk/Crime%20Reduction/Fraud/Scams%20and%20Frauds/item13721.html
"Identity theft occurs when someone else, without your knowledge uses your
personal information. This can include your name, national insurance number,
credit card number of any other financial information, without your permission
to support criminal activity, which could involve fraud, deception, or
obtaining benefits and services in your name. "

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CrimeJusticeAndTheLaw/Typesofcrime/DG_181626
"Identity theft (sometimes called ‘identity fraud’) is when information about
you (such as your name, National Insurance number, and address) are stolen and
used by somebody else to get credit or cash illegally."

And although old there is always
"But people should not give out personal or account details "requested
unexpectedly" by phone or by email"

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk