[Gllug] VACANCY: Linux Systems Administrator

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Thu Mar 22 08:41:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, March 21, 2012 14:53, Robert . wrote:
> Just out of interest, for those of you that do work in linux jobs on a
> daily basis, did you choose, train for, and aimed for your career with
> Linux, or did you find it just happened due to changes of circumstances at
> your employeer ?

I mostly made the change of circumstances happen.  My first "proper" IT
job was with a law firm who got went from a 64k ISDN line (for 500 seats)
to a whole 0.5Mb leased line.  A caching proxy and NATing firewall was
needed, so I started learning out Linux and Squid.

Since then I have largely progressed self-taught.  I got into the habit of
trying to solve problems that interested me but then writing HOWTOs to
share that knowledge with other people.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk