[Gllug] VACANCY: Linux Systems Administrator

Robert . forums at binaryexistence.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 11:29:47 UTC 2012

> As for how one falls in the Linux space, it  used to be just by
> chance, but now that it is a fully professionalized field I suppose
> you would study operating systems in Uni and then move on to an entry
> position in a place where Linux is prevalent.
>
> Most companies nowadays won't take self thought people (a shame
> really) and with the prevalence of  certifications many  are not
> evening considering applicants without one.
> --

It's a shame if it really is/goes that way. I do believe that an education
establishment is right for many fields and individuals in this world, I
wouldn't want to go see a self-taught doctor for example.
However in the world of IT when so much freely available information is
provided to users to learn in their own way, it allows people to cultivate
their own creativity and to learn from their mistakes. Their way of
thinking will possibly be very different (out of the box?) to a classroom
of 20 people studying together. Neither is right or wrong, but both deserve
respect for the time and effort put into them. Often the creative types
cannot afford formal education, would be a shame to slow down progression
because self-taught individuals are left behind

I've recently read Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, and although I don't totally
agree with every view he has, he covers topics such as how woman become
"accepted" in classical music which was rarely the case in the past. I took
the message as "to create opportunities by not neglecting others for their
differences".