[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 6 11:06:25 UTC 2013

On 6 March 2013 10:46, Matthew Walster <matthew at walster.org> wrote:

> On 6 March 2013 10:39, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 10:33:40AM +0000, Matthew Walster wrote:
>>
>> > I'd say I know 20-30 on Virgin Media, and 10-20 on DSL. The rate of
>> faults
>> > is roughly equal -- but when it *does* work, by far the superior
>> service is
>> > obtained through Virgin Media.
>>
>> Reliability beats a faster speed (IMHO). If you are out for a day the
>> pain is
>> far worse than having a slower speed.
>>

> Agreed. I've had degraded service or outages far more often with BT than
> Virgin. YMMV.
>

>> > Virgin Media support *is* terrible. I've seen NTL/VM National Ethernet
>> > installs take over 12 months to provision. However, if the service is
>> > *working*, I've always had a fantastic service. My only gripe with the
>> > Virgin service is that they overwrite DNS TTLs, but I'm really
>> clutching at
>> > straws there.
>>
>> Because it is, unfortunately, not a crime to:
>>
>> 1) not obey RFCs - eg pass the TTL on unchanged.
>>
>> 2) screw up your config (like leaving a 60 second TTL forever, not just
>>    transition) which encourages the likes of Virgin to do (1).
>>

> Trouble is, Virgin intercepts DNS queries so I can't transition to my own
> resolvers. I don't want 60 second TTLs, this is true. But I'd like to be
> able to test my DNS infrastructure from my home with "dig"!

What I don't understand is why people are running what seems like quite
complicated set ups on their home networks.

With the wide availability of cheap hosting, which is actually intended for
all those services people are talking about, I am curious as to why people
insist to keep complicated set ups in house so to speak.

Residential broadband is clearly intended for consumer mostly situations,
if one has anything to serve it seems to me like residential broadband is
the wrong solution (fixed IP addresses? Why? )

I have used everything from AOL, Virgin, BT and several others and read
with amusement all the horror histories that I would normally expect when
discussing the setup of a server in a datacentre. I have always been able
to browse the web, read email, download videos (and distros, even with bit
torrent, which is just a tool btw) and do most other tasks that a
residential user would reasonably expect.

Perhaps there is a bit of the "all tools look like a hammer" syndrome here,
specially since this list's constituency face regular professional
situations in which the only available tool isn't a hammer :-)