[GLLUG] Broadband: Bethere -> Sky

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Tue Apr 15 09:25:12 UTC 2014

On 12 April 2014 13:59, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:

> Near neighbours of mine have made the same change and it seems that their
> contention ratio has gone through the roof

​Contention ratios are a bit of a misnomer -- they don't really apply to
modern broadband infrastructure. It's very dependant on the traffic profile
of the area. But yes, I have noticed that a lot of ISPs have an "early
evening crush" on their lines. Their LNSs are relatively full, but not
saturated, so it must be a problem with the backhaul.

> Sadly, there are NO good quality, reasonably prices net services in this
> country (and don't anyone bang on about A&A - they're hampered by the
> abysmal service they're provided by BT!).

​Quite the contrary, I think A&A are a fantastic ISP. Sure, they run on BT
infrastructure to get you to their POPs but I have had a very reliable
service from them for the last couple of years and I haven't seen any
evidence of congestion.​

> Just by way of illustration - my Helsinki address gets a genuine 200M down
> 160M up service 24:7:365 for ~£8 per month.

​I'd be interested in who you're getting that off. Saunalahti can only give
20M for about 30 EUR/month (including line rental)...​ Where in Helsinki
are you getting that kind of service??

> My brother has an office in Singapore, and he gets 120M both ways for ~$6
> per month.  We're being robbed blind in this country (as usual) and
> receiving (at best) a sub-standard "service".

​You're missing the bit about Singapore having nationalised broadband
infrastructure that is subsidised by the Government ;)

We actually have a good infrastructure in the UK and it's only getting
better with the investment BT are putting in. The FTTC rollout is going
well and about 50% of the country has access to speeds in excess of
30Mbit/s if they so wish.

Things aren't as bad as you think ;)

​