[GLLUG] BTRFS and snapshots?

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Sat Jun 21 11:39:16 UTC 2014

On 25 April 2014 18:46, Benjamin Donnachie <benjamin at py-soft.co.uk> wrote:

> I shall certainly experiment with it [ZFS] and BTRFS a little more once I
> get the exam next week out of the way and backed up my data properly...

Took a while but finally found time to experiment.  My attempts to use BTFS
were met with filesystem corruption that I eventually traced to a defective
DIMM.  Once bitten, twice shy and all that, I decided to give zfsonlinux +
ecryptfs a go.  Although it worked well ecryptfs made the snapshots
difficult to work with.

So I finally took the plunge and, despite the warnings on doom on the
Interwebs, went for zfsonlinux + luks.  It feels faster than using ecryptfs
and also the previous mdadm RAID6 with ext4 setup and the auto-snapshot
feature is simply amazing! :)

Ben