[GLLUG] problem with grub

Ben Whyall ben at whyall-systems.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 10:12:02 UTC 2014

On 17/03/2014 08:30, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> I have had a couple of grub related problems in the past too on my
> Debian Sid laptop. The best solution I found everytime was to reinstall
> GRUB using a live-USB of Ubuntu. Just boot the Live-USB, chroot to your
> Debian partition, re-install the grub package (apt-get install
> --reinstall), re-install grub (grub-install /dev/sdX, X being the letter
> corresponding to your HDD), exit the chroot and reboot.
>
> Hope you'll eventually fix your problem.
>
> Ghis
>

>     I have come across this problem before.
>     It happens when grub does not install correctly,
>
>     What you sometimes see is the grub .mod files are corrupted.
>     All the .mod files should have the same date on them.
>     If there is a mix of dates, delete them all and reinstall grub.
>     A mix of dates means that you have a mix of modules from old grub
>     versions and they don't work correctly as they don't match the grub
>     version number.
>
>     Things to do:
>     1) install grub onto a USB stick and put a vmlinuz and initrd on it.
>     You can then use this to boot your current system by manually typing
>     the grub boot line.
>     After that you can then reinstall grub on the HDD.
>
>     2) Boot a live cd or install cd and use CTRL-ALT-F1 or CTRL-ALT-F2 to
>     get to a command prompt.
>     Then you can do "ls" commands and check out the /boot directory and
>     reinstall grub etc.
>
>     Kind Regards
>
>     James

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your help, I have now managed to get the system
working again.

I booted a rescue desk, mounted all my file systems and then chrooted.

uninstalled and reinstalled grub 2, reconfigured grub.

Then managed to get it to boot successfully.

Thanks for everyones assistance and suggestions.

Ben