[GLLUG] Audio Production

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Thu Nov 27 10:26:11 UTC 2014

On 26/11/14 21:41, Leo wrote:

Since no-one else has answered:

> Anyone doing any professional audio or music production under Linux?

> I'm primarily a Ableton and Logic user under OSX but I'm currently
> investigating using Bitwig Studio for some production work and live
> performance. I got it all working great using Jack but non of my audio
> interfaces are compatible with Linux (Oh well, its Christmas soon).

While I am (self-evidently) a desktop and server Linux user, every time
I have evaluated using Linux for professional - i.e. money-making -
audio I have run into two big issues:

1. My investment in plugins - which won't

(e.g: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=62060
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389923&start=1185
)

(Bitwig does not support AU either: "Bitwig Studio doesn't support AU in
version 1.0. We will consider supporting AU at a later stage.")

2. My investment in audio interfaces, hardware controllers (which I like
to 'just work') and things like Liquid Mix. Firewire support under Linux
is extremely variable and in my case non-existent, and I would have to
rewrite all the scripts for the hardware controllers myself. That's not
an income centre.

3. Oh and of course my investment in DAW and Mastering software :)

I suspect if I did use it I'd run into a number of...

4. Industry standard interchange issues.

None of this is of course the fault of the Linux audio projects, but has
been a total blocker for me (I'm Cubase/WaveLab/PC oriented and have
many £ invested in hardware and plugins).

Since people who use my facilities want to call on certain favourite
hardware and plugins, that sort of fixes the choices for me. But then
I'm exclusively in studio.

If your case is different - and it sounds like it is - then the logic
(sorry) may be different. It may work fine on-stage, dunno.

Basically, the DAW is only a small part of the overall investment.

--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com
244 Kilburn Lane

0845 838 5370