[GLLUG] Dual monitors on Ubuntu 14.04 with Gnome

Christina Nicolau christina.androne at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 14:50:42 UTC 2014

Hi everybody

I am hoping there's anyone here able to help me set up dual monitors on
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with the latest Gnome desktop.

Here's the story:
- Dell Precision desktop
- Fresh Ubuntu install
- Fresh Gnome install (configured to run on top of lightDM)

What I want: dual monitors display (I have one on VGA and the other on
DVI). By dual monitors display I mean having 2 monitors, moving windows
between them, maximizing a window will expand it to just one monitor etc.

What I currently have:

Version 1, when I select the proprietary driver in Additional Drivers
(NVIDIA binary driver v 331.38): one monitor streches over the other one,
so I am never able to move onto the second, the display just scrolls to one
side to include the view of the second. When I maximize a window, it covers
all 2 monitors. When going to display settings, Ubuntu thinks there is just
one monitor.

Version 2: when I am back to using the X.Org X server -- Nouveau, I do
actually get 2 displays and I do get 2 monitors in display settings.
However, the second display is sluggish, mouse trails remain, windows do
not get rendered correctly etc. Basically unusable.

... any hints, please? It really looks like I need a combination of these 2
but how? Googled around for a while, there were some suggestions around
xorg.conf but I don't know how to move forward.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.