[GLLUG] problem installing Fedora on RAID device

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Sun Sep 21 12:57:31 UTC 2014

On 21/09/14 01:25, bridget at vfemail.net wrote:
I was told by the system that it could not update because the
> boot was on RAID dm-1 (don't know exactly what that means but suspect it
> has something to do with the configuration of the disks)

It *probably* means that the motherboard has what's known as a
'fake-RAID' device (and at least two HDD) and that was using a special
driver in f13, which has to be specified at the install.

If the system is installed without the driver it won't work right at all.

Do you need RAID?

If not, then you can turn it off.

That will destroy access to anything on the disks, but it will then act
as a normal disk controller and the install should work OK.

Check in the BIOS for the configuration of the hardware.

You may find that the hard disk controller is offered as a config option
when you boot up (alternatively it may be an option in the main BIOS).

There will be another option offered: AHCI, probably.

Disable anything to do with RAID and set the disks to normal (or AHCI)
mode and reboot, retry the install.

If that does not work then there may indeed be (as suggested) a
motherboard hardware fault...

Sorry I can't be any more specific, the specifics will be in the manual
for the motherboard/unit which you could find and download and consult.

MeJ

--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com
244 Kilburn Lane