[GLLUG] Paid help sought

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Tue Mar 31 10:45:03 UTC 2015

Hello Rick,

On 2015-03-31 10:36, Rick Crust wrote:
> Hello ...
>
> I'm not certain I have understood Rob Bowman's problem completely --
> but his context seems familiar. I run several 'silver surfer' projects
> around Hackney and the City of London. I carry a bag of Android
> tablets to community centres and other places where older people are
> learning about digital technology for the first time. Some of those
> places (including streets and parks) have no wifi or no Internet
> connection at all. So I also carry a 4G mobile wifi hotspot. Much of
> the time I want to demonstrate online music, video, photos and ebooks
> -- but if my learners download those files from the Internet, the
> entire 4G monthly plan would be used up in a single session. It would
> also be very slow.
>
> My solution -- which is nothing to do with Linux -- is this gadget:
> Mobilelite G2 (
> http://www.kingston.com/en/wireless/wireless_readers#mlwg2 [1] ). I
> can load up context-specific SD cards or flash drives for each
> project, then the gadget acts as a short-range private
> password-protected network, wherever we are. It's not a perfect
> solution (the gadget supports a maximum 8 concurrent connections, and
> the range of supported filetypes is narrow), but it's cheap.

That is an interesting solution, thanks for sharing!

This sounds very much like the Pirate Box project (please do not judge
this project by it's name!), which is available here:

http://piratebox.cc/

Yes, even though the website has a number of Jolly Rogers plastered all
over the show, you can change all that by adding a few bits of
"in_the_right_hands" and a few bobs of "for_the_right_reasons", and you
might end up with a good solution if the little Kingston box runs out of
steam. The Pirate Box does not have any internet access as a feature as
far as I know, it is primarily meant as a file sharing service.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins