[GLLUG] More data thefts

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Fri Oct 23 18:58:51 UTC 2015

Hello,
The press and broadcasters are giving news about yet another company being
cracked, this time for the third occasion in a year. There were reports
earlier in the week estimating the amount of money lost and stolen through
internet cracks ad fraud. Criminals are happy to share information, but where
do individuals and companies obtain advice and a name and shame list of
vulnerable software? Is the initial attack attempted through infected
workstations? Perhaps some information might be available through a local
Chamber of Commerce, although that would probably be restricted to members and
may rely on other local members' knowledge.
I can eaily obtain a website with a name like dodgy.security.org.uk, which
could cost little more than five pounds per year, but I could not obtain a
website with a .gov.uk or .gov (US) name that I should be able to trust.

Chris Bell