[GLLUG] Thinkpad T410 Disk Drive/Hardware problem

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Wed Feb 3 19:45:30 UTC 2016

Hello Leo,

On 03/02/16 01:17, Leo Francisco wrote:
> Heya all,
>
> Got my Thinkpad in the end. It's super fast, not used to the SSD
> goodness. Been playing around making music with Ubuntu Studio. Loads of fun.

/me jealous! I'm still rocking with my old Lenovo Z360 Ideapad, but with
Ubuntu Studio it's more than just useful.

> I am having a problem with the disk drive however. The tray keeps
> popping out seemingly randomly and make a hell of a lot of noise. I was
> messing around taking it out and putting back in again and a couple of
> bits came off the case. A small metal L thing and a plastic switch that
> was visible on the bottom of the case.

Oh dear, that actually sounds somewhat terminal! I hope that it's not
part of the main case.

> Anyone had anything like this happen before? It's easy to slip in a new
> disk drive or HD bay but I'm not sure what to do about the two bits that
> came off. I can't even see how they were attached as the case does not
> come apart in a way that reveals that part of the computer.
>
> I can link to a pic of the parts if anyone wants.

Yes please, post some pictures. While I don't have a T410, the bits
might look familiar. I agree about an extra HDD bay, they seem to be
rather cheap (less than £10 without the drive, if you are willing to
shop on eBay). With good USB DVD/RW units for that off-chance you need
one, having a unit like that in your lappie doesn't really make all that
much sense these days. I cannot remember when last I installed Linux
from CD, I always write the install medium to a USB drive.

--

Regards,
Jan Henkins