[GLLUG] Thinkpad T410 Disk Drive/Hardware problem

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Wed Feb 3 20:37:27 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 03 Feb 2016 19:45:16 Jan Henkins wrote:
> Hello Leo,
>
> On 03/02/16 01:17, Leo Francisco wrote:
> > Heya all,
> >
> > Got my Thinkpad in the end. It's super fast, not used to the SSD
> > goodness. Been playing around making music with Ubuntu Studio. Loads of
> > fun.
>
> /me jealous! I'm still rocking with my old Lenovo Z360 Ideapad, but with
> Ubuntu Studio it's more than just useful.
>
> > I am having a problem with the disk drive however. The tray keeps
> > popping out seemingly randomly and make a hell of a lot of noise. I was
> > messing around taking it out and putting back in again and a couple of
> > bits came off the case. A small metal L thing and a plastic switch that
> > was visible on the bottom of the case.
>
> Oh dear, that actually sounds somewhat terminal! I hope that it's not
> part of the main case.
>
> > Anyone had anything like this happen before? It's easy to slip in a new
> > disk drive or HD bay but I'm not sure what to do about the two bits that
> > came off. I can't even see how they were attached as the case does not
> > come apart in a way that reveals that part of the computer.
> >
> > I can link to a pic of the parts if anyone wants.
>
> Yes please, post some pictures. While I don't have a T410, the bits
> might look familiar. I agree about an extra HDD bay, they seem to be
> rather cheap (less than £10 without the drive, if you are willing to
> shop on eBay). With good USB DVD/RW units for that off-chance you need
> one, having a unit like that in your lappie doesn't really make all that
> much sense these days. I cannot remember when last I installed Linux
> from CD, I always write the install medium to a USB drive.

If it is the DVD/CD drive giving problems then it can usually be replaced with
any other low profile laptop drive.

I understand that some recent Lenovo laptops have attempted but failed to
complete a BIOS auto-update, leaving the machine unable to boot. The only cure
appears to involve removing and re-programming the soldered-in BIOS chip.
I had a problem because I replaced the original Microsoft hard drive with a
1TB Debian. I later needed to use the Microsoft drive to view some possibly
encrypted medical information, but it immediately crashed and had to be re-
installed. No problems when I went back to the Debian drive.

Chris Bell