[GLLUG] Adding a second ethernet interface

Paul Rayner gllug at pr0.co.uk
Mon May 9 20:39:41 UTC 2016

On , Andy Smith via GLLUG wrote:
> If this is a Debian desktop/server system that is likely to have a
> stable and simple configuration (and everything you've said so far
> does suggest this to me) then personally I would be configuring all
> its interfaces statically in /etc/network/interfaces, at which point
> NetworkManager is out of the picture.

I wouldn't count on it. In recent encounters with NetworkMangler on a
fedora VM I found that it overwrites files it considers iteslf to own
even when I tried to turn it off or set the files to be read only.

It's a horrid hack, but if you can't remove it, I found that making
files you don't want it to touch immutable does the trick - e.g.

sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf