[GLLUG] Charity WiFi, a bit off topic

Marco van Beek mvanbeek at supporting-role.co.uk
Thu Apr 19 11:16:22 UTC 2018

Okay, here is my take on this.

**IF** you need to be able to call the emergency services from a
particular location, then the only acceptable connection is with a good
old BT Openreach line, and usually with a phone that is powered from the
line itself (i.e not a walkabout). In this case, no other connection /
type of phone supplier / manufacturer will accept liability for a
connection to 999 / 112.

There are no **LEGAL** requirements that I have ever seen, and a lot of
BS about stuff that "is the law" when it isn't. Most of these things are
in codes of practice, etc. . So if your fire evacuation procedures
require you to call the fire brigade, then you will need a phone to do
it. Of course, they also tell you to get out of the building, so where
the phone is becomes an issue.

The question really comes down to risk assessments. If, for example,
there is a case for lone working in a server room, a phone you use to
call a supervisor every hour might be a solution, but you would need a
reliable phone to do so. On the other hand, if you are wandering all
over a warehouse like a security guard, a fixed phone is of little use.

Most H&S comes down to you (or your supervisor / manager / MD) deciding
what is the safest practicable way to do something. What the law says is
"as safe as is practicable". That includes considerations of cost, and
if someone can actually do what you are asking them to do. If they
can't, or the fix makes it even more dangerous, it isn't practicable.

Regards,

Marco