[GLLUG] Internet Data Rate

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Wed May 13 13:17:58 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 13 May 2020 13:21:50 BST Marco van Beek via GLLUG wrote:
> With so few people having / using POTS telephones these days, it is
> really hard to explain to people that the quality of the line affected
> the quality of the data. Most of the time when I turn up to fault-find a
> xDSL line, I start by plugging a £10 handset into the line, and then
> have to tell them it is a voice fault and we need to report it to the
> telephone company, not the broadband company. They usually just don't
> get it.
>
> My rule of thumb is that with HiFi, cheap digital is better than cheap
> analogue, and expensive analogue is better than expensive digital, but
> in data transmission systems it is the other way round. A cheap analogue
> fix is always better than even an expensive digital fix.
>
> :-)
I have not seen an intermediate panel, only the straight replacement. The
original NTE5 box only has termination components in the rear section, and
there is no isolation from the single BT Telephone socket on the front. The
original lower front panel is designed only as an extension, so that an
engineer can undo two screws and unplug the entire internal wiring, together
with any internal faults, and give direct access to the incoming line and its
termination via a standard BT outlet socket behind.
The straight replacement panel only replaces some of the termination
components, the data is taken direct from the incoming line, then the
replacement filter components are inserted only into the telephone outlet.
The original front panel will have normally unused IDC connections behind for
internal wiring connections in parallel with the standard front BT output
socket, the replacement may also have an additional pair connected before the
replacement filter components specifically as an alternative for the front data
connection. Most original boxes will not have wiring to the rear of the lower
panel but may have multiple adapters connected at the front.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk