[GLLUG] Multi-Boot Puzzle - a bit OT

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Sun Oct 4 17:21:53 UTC 2020

Ah the joys of multi-booting different versions of Windows! A lot of
wild guesses below:

On 03/10/2020 23:37, Ken Smith via GLLUG wrote:
>Win 7
> has put its boot files on the partition for Server 2003 as there is a
> /boot in there. I suspect this partition being NTFS is a factor in this
> problem. But the original 1.5TB disk is the same and it works.

AFAIK it's all down to install order. From technet:

(https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/0684114d-6cb4-4bce-a837-14090245c9fc/dual-boot-windows-7-with-windows-2003-server?forum=w7itproinstall)

"Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003 use different startup methods.
Windows Server 2003  startup method is not compatible with Windows 7.
Generally, after installing Windows 7 on a Windows Server 2003 based
computer, the Windows Server 2003 will be recognized as a “Earlier
Version of Windows” and the Windows Boot Manger will automatic make dual
boot of Windows server 2003 OS and Windows 7 OS properly. But if you
install Windows Server 2003 on a Windows 7 based computer, it will cause
problems."

I suspect the same is true of Win 10/Server 2003 aka WinXP server. I'm
assuming all of this is 32 bit? Nor that that should matter. I know you
are not installing but moving, but Windows pre v10 is notoriously dim
(10 *is* much better).

> I've reinstated the FC13 systems Grub boot loader. I guess I could put
> Fedora 32 and Win 10 on another disk and use Grub2 from FC32 to also
> boot the systems on the original 1.5TB disk.

I've done this a lot in the past and now I just don't. Disks are cheaper
than my time, so I am prepared to multi-boot, but not from one disk.

My current music machine has separate disks for Windows, most music
software (big sample libraries) and Linux. And I'm not trying to run
archaic versions of Windows XP server as well ;)

IIWM I'd acquire another disk or two and put everything on its own disk.

I'd take a safe image/copy of that 1.5 tib disk as my first action and
then start again and disentangle everything to different disks. Once
everything is booting on its own disk I'd set up the boot arrangements.
I realise that's not really what you asked, but it is my answer!

I know partitions should be sufficient, and with Linux/*BSD it usually
is, but with different and incompatible epochs of Windows I have had
endless headaches until I bought more drives.

MeJ

--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com
244 Kilburn Lane