[Gloucs] USB Key Drive

Mick Brooks gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 27 12:07:01 2002

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 11:17, Guy Edwards wrote:
> Inspired by your sucess with the usb thing, I stayed up late last night
> and now have my matchbox-sized l'espion digital camera working under
> Linux, (In the end it was easier to setup than under windows). I would
> recommend these to anyone as they're only £39.99 and they're tiny and of
> course, work under Linux.

I don't believe it. I just got one of those a couple of weeks ago - and had
it working on a Mandrake box pretty quickly. I stayed up late last night
trying to get it to work on my Debian box, but I failed.

I've never had any USB device working on my machine - not in Debian, Mandrake
or Windows. It has an AT case, and so the usb ports are on a riser thing and
need to be plugged into the motherboard. I didn't get the riser thing with
the board when I bought it, but I didn't really notice because I didn't have
any usb stuff then. I got a riser thing later from some guy who was throwing
it out - but it had a plug with 10 pins (only 8 connected) whereas the
motherboard wanted an 8 pin connector. I chopped the two unused pins off so
that it would fit into the motherboard. I thought I'd plugged it in the right
way.

Nothing worked - but with the l'espion camera I got further than ever. Linux
detects it being plugged in and tries to give it a bus address but the camera
seems to reject it:

/var/log/messages says
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-110)

I tried connecting the riser to the motherboard with the plug the other way
up - but I get the same error.

I've killed the riser thing haven't I? Probably when chopping stuff off it.
Or connecting it upside-down. Anybody know if I'm right? I've done the pin
chopping thing for someone else and had it work though.

Or does anyone happen to have an 8 pin usb riser thing I could borrow - I
promise not to chop it!

--
Mick