[Gloucs] Request for pointers to information!

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Nov 19 17:35:00 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 13:58, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> I am currently doing MCSA in Windows 2000 at home, and would like to
> find some information on how much Linux is currently being used in the
> workplace, and what the forecast is for the future. (Whether Desktop or
> Server)

Hard facts and figures for a report? Or do you mean as in how it's used
in peoples businesses so you can get a reasonable picture of what
qualifications etc are likely to be in demand for the future?

I've been sifting through a pile of "computing" issues which we get
tonnes of. It's interesting to see the rising number of Linux articles.
Most of the time in the articles Linux seems to be replacing existing
expensive server setups, but just recently it's getting to be more of a
desktop contender (what with decent gui apps like star/open office,
evolution,)

> and also whether or not I would be able to easily get my USB ISDN
> modem working.(I'm currently running BT Home Highway using their own USB
> connection)

I'm not too sure on this but I'd go to google and type in any make/model
markings on the ISDN modem and "linux" and "usb" and see what comes up.
If you get a "howto BT ISDN USB Modem with Linux" then that's a bonus.

..... (tries it) yep, do a google for the following and you'll get some
relevent links.

usb modem linux bt

> I am looking at purchasing Mandrake 9

Mandrake 9.0 discs 1,2 and 3 will be at the next meeting if you want
them.

> (unless anyone can recommend any
> other distro!)

Mandrake 9.0 is great for beginners and it works out of the box (whereas
Mandrake 8.0 and 8.2 were a bit tempramental) There's a lot of SUSE
users here though, and a few Debian people. I'd recommend Mandrake as
it's what I'm using :-)

Guy