[Gloucs] Apologies but this is a test (and hello).

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Nov 24 20:38:01 2002

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_842t0hEcgT494L6x=

In message <20021124144616.GA1530@candy.10forbes.close>, Steve Searle=20
<steve@stevesearle.com> writes
>Around 12:35am on Sunday, November 24, 2002 (UK time), Paul Broadhead scra=
wled:

>> Doing that has crossed my mind several times.  However, my latest
>> thought is to bite the bullet and go for Debian 3.  After Iain's talk at
>When someone mentioned those cheap second hand machines that Hemplan
>were selling, I went out and bought a P233 with the intention of trying
>out a few other distros, and seeing if there were any I liked better
>than Redhat.  I just have to get round to it now <g>
>
>Steve

I installed Debian 3 on a test machine after it appeared on one of the=20
Linux mags last month. No real problems and only one real irritation.=20
You can't log on to the GUI as root but if you log on as a normal user=20
and then try to run one of the configuration tools, you get the error=20
message "Must be root to use this tool" instead of a password prompt. I=20
never did work out how you were supposed to configure the system from=20
the menus.
--=20
Dave Addison