[Gloucs] Gzipped mailboxes

Will Roe gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 17 19:56:00 2002

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

Hi,

For a while now I've had mail comming in from various lists and so on
being appended to their respective mailboxes and when I've read them
then mutt saves them to a compressed version (mbox-hook).

That setup was silly realy as emails would come in with subject lines
referring to emails in the saved box (just a slight complication). Also
the large lists (such as debian-devel/user) build up quite a bit before
I can read them.

So I decided to have all mail in compressed mailbox format. Simple
matter I thought - I'll just see how mutt compress-appends to gzipped
mboxes and transfer that to procmail, thus:
|gzip -c >> mbox.gz

Now, when new mail comes in while I'm in a mailbox, mutt reports the
mbox is corrupted. Also, mutt doesn't see new mail arrive at all, so it
doesn't say "Hey, you've got mail in blah...". I'm not realy worried
about this 'new mail' crap, but words like corrupt (which I can't even
spell) are irritating.

Any help/laughter would be appreciated,
Will

--=20
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
		-- Albert Einstein

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L--