[Gloucs] ADSL (at last)

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 18 22:21:00 2003

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_uHXZrdCKdN8+4LWa=

In message <20030618193217.GA1410@candy.10forbes.close>, Steve Searle=20
<mail@stevesearle.com> writes
>Around 09:52pm on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 (UK time), Steve Searle scrawled:
>
>> BT are converting Hucclecote exchange for ADSL at last, so I should be
>> able to move off my dial-up modem next month.  I use IPCop to protect my
>> small home network - does anyone have any thoughts or experience as to
>> what sort of ADSL modem, router, etc. should work best.
>>
>Thanks for all the feedback  - its the most popular thread I've ever
>started :-)
>
>To widen the question - it looks as if price-wise the best option would
>be to go for a "wires only" setup, probably Demon Express Solo and buy
>an ADSL modem/router to attach to my IPCop box.  A modem would need to
>attache via Ethernet - my IPCop box is pre-USB.  I am not very clear
>from looking on the manufacturer's sites what the difference between an
>ADSL modem and an ADSL router is - they seem to be used fairly
>interchangeably.  I assume a router has its own IP addresses - one the
>Internet address allocated by the ISP, and the other one in the range
>used by my LAN, and can be plugged into a switch, whereas a modem just
>passes the ISP allocated IP address to the PC it is attached to.
>
>I would think either a modem or a router is fine for me, if I attache it
>to the IPCop so as to take advantage of its firewall and port forwarding
>capabilities.  I am thinking of using a Netgear DM602 which DSL
>Warehouse describe as a single port router.
>
>Can anyone spot any errors in my thinking - I am sure there are some.
>Any advice would be gratefully received.
>
>Cheers
>
>Steve

You could do worse than a Draytek. The Vigor 2600 I bought plugged=20
straight into a wires only ADSL service from Demon and came up no=20
problems. It also supports automatic updates of dynamic DNS services (if=20
you get the right model) and has loads of other goodies like VPN support=20
to play with. Dynamic DNS + VPN =3D secure access from anywhere
--=20
Dave Addison

--=_Turnpike_uHXZrdCKdN8+4LWa=

--=_Turnpike_uHXZrdCKdN8+4LWa=--