[Gloucs] More NEC stuff

Mark gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jun 26 08:31:00 2003

--=-HCUoy8j3Edg6kzZnY5q8

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 19:45, Richard Mellersh wrote:

> Felt a bit conned that "loads-a-dosh" was required to hear `Maddog' Hall =
or=20
> one of the O'Reilly family - Oh well, next time perhaps.

Oh dear, that is a shame, you should have spoken to Alisdair Kergen who
was extremely helpful following an organisational "muck up" that
happened over the free LUG tickets, so I was given a very useful pass.

Maddog's talk was brilliant, and as such I will be porting a number of
projects onto single image beowulf systems in the future.

Tim O'Reilly was equally as fascinating and its a shame that you missed
it. Lots of thoughts for the future and about the paradigms that
companies and development within those companies follow.

On a similar note, the IBM stand were very friendly, and we had a good
chuckle when the "glitch free" websphere system crashed when it tried to
find my birth records.. highly amusing!

There were, as expected, a large number of people who have designed
gui's for basic functions there. But if they can provide the service,
why not!

Had a supreme success of Annoying the OpenBSD person (don't think he was
fond of me..) something to do with not disclosing vulnerabilities in an
Open OS.

The only down sides to the day were that coffee wasnt cheap and that
some of the people on various stands could have done with not being
salesmen so much as engineers or "techies". It was also a shame that not
all of the representatives of the Free software foundation and other
sections around the .org village were coherent. Some of them however
were extremely positive.

Throughly enjoyed it.

--=20
		         Mark
		     www.wwjh.net
		www.vulndev.org/~mark
   If you know yourself, knowing the enemy does not matter.
		-- Sun Tzu - The Art of War
			(Adapted)

--=-HCUoy8j3Edg6kzZnY5q8

--=-HCUoy8j3Edg6kzZnY5q8--