[Gloucs] september meeting

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 19 08:41:00 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 02:15, Francis Barton wrote:
[snip]
> I phoned Equals Community Centre in Cheltenham today and they have no
> booking for us next Tuesday, but the venue is still available if we want
> it.
>
> I know we were going to alternate between Gloucester and Cheltenham but
> if we're too big for the Cross Keys then where else in Gloucester can we
> meet?

we might be small enough again for Gloucester :-)

> I prefer Cheltenham but if Paul and others will struggle to get there
> then maybe Gloucester will have to do - at least we can get a beer in
> the Cross Keys...

beer!

> Possible topic for discussion - "Linux/Free Software and Charities" -
> practical ideas and strategies for how we as a LUG could coordinate a
> promotion of free software to local charities/volunteer organisations
> and even businesses.

just a word of warning: The LUG howto (at tldp?) says to avoid getting
involved with local charities/businesses as a LUG (e.g. supporting them
as a lug) as it always ends in tears. Doesn't mean you shouldn't promote
it of course, just be careful about the old "yeah I can set it up for
you, here's my number" because you need to be aware you'll end up
getting phone calls when ever the system goes down.

> I would be willing to chair the discussion (assuming I can make the
> meeting).

> Can someone phone the Cross Keys then to keep Paul happy??? Or else we
> could meet in a backwater of the county like Lydney or Dursley or even
> Quedgeley :-) (eh Guy?)

Are we doing the cross keys then? Please speak up if you're cool/uncool
with this. I'm off to work, when I get back if everyone's said yes I'll
ring the Cross Keys and stick it on the website.

Guy