[Gloucs] september meeting

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 19 23:31:01 2003

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_5CpMKGCpM4a$4LRM=

In message <1063957130.2589.9.camel@linstation>, Guy Edwards=20
<guy_j_edwards@HotPOP.com> writes
>On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 02:15, Francis Barton wrote:
>[snip]
>> I phoned Equals Community Centre in Cheltenham today and they have no
>> booking for us next Tuesday, but the venue is still available if we want
>> it.
>>
>> I know we were going to alternate between Gloucester and Cheltenham but
>> if we're too big for the Cross Keys then where else in Gloucester can we
>> meet?
>
>we might be small enough again for Gloucester :-)
>
>> I prefer Cheltenham but if Paul and others will struggle to get there
>> then maybe Gloucester will have to do - at least we can get a beer in
>> the Cross Keys...
>
>beer!
>
>> Possible topic for discussion - "Linux/Free Software and Charities" -
>> practical ideas and strategies for how we as a LUG could coordinate a
>> promotion of free software to local charities/volunteer organisations
>> and even businesses.
>
>just a word of warning: The LUG howto (at tldp?) says to avoid getting
>involved with local charities/businesses as a LUG (e.g. supporting them
>as a lug) as it always ends in tears. Doesn't mean you shouldn't promote
>it of course, just be careful about the old "yeah I can set it up for
>you, here's my number" because you need to be aware you'll end up
>getting phone calls when ever the system goes down.

Tell me about it. I've been running the servers in the CAB in Cheltenham=20
for the last four years. Very few problems with the servers (three=20
crashes in four years caused by dodgy memory) but lots of phone calls=20
about windows desktop machines, internet connection problems and people=20
cutting through power lines. However remote admin over a VPN should make=20
running a small Linux network relatively painless.
--=20
Dave Addison

--=_Turnpike_5CpMKGCpM4a$4LRM=

--=_Turnpike_5CpMKGCpM4a$4LRM=--