[Gloucs] linux boot up probs

Francis Barton fbarton at fish.co.uk
Thu May 6 13:24:27 BST 2004

Quoting Dave Hall <dave.hall at blbw.co.uk>:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Help needed. I have just tried to load Mandrake Linux version 9 onto my home
> computer. Currently it is also running Windows XP home  and is networked
> using a netgear network switch with built in dsl modem and NAT firewall.
> I have 2 hd and have loaded Linux to the secondary hd drive.
> Computer spec is AMd XP 2400, 512 ram, 64mb Herculies game card, 5.1 sound
> card.Network card, dial up modem card, usb 1 ( not 2) with printer (not
> networked)
>
> Problem, It wont actually load into the GUI. boot is ok upto the point where
> - 'finding module dependencies. Then it hangs. After app 10 mins it then
> reports, modprobe:modprobe:insmod pwc failed' and thats it. No more action.

Curious. Just a thought - can you get a command prompt? try hitting Alt+Ctrl+F1
. If so, log in as "root" and try "modprobe pwc" and see what errors you get,
if any. Also "depmod -a" might help (this updates module dependency table.)

OK, forget everything above, I just googled for "insmod pwc failed" and found
the following thread:

http://www.mandrakeclub.com/modules.php?
op=modload&name=Splatt_Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=12491&forum=9

Try unplugging webcam (if you have one!) and rebooting. Read the thread for
more info.

HTH
Francis