[Gloucs] Hello

Tom Walker twalker at corruptive.co.uk
Wed May 12 22:54:50 BST 2004

DOMINIC CLAY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just joined the list and so I thought I should make myself known.
>
> I have been using Linux in a small way for a few years now.  My main
> experience has been with Gentoo although I have used Redhat and have
> currently got a Debian sarge install on my machine.
>
> The main interest that brought me to Linux was java development and I
> have had a long love/hate relationship with using JBoss predominantly as
> a servlet container (tomcat essentially) however I am currently starting
> to use a shopping cart web application in php (Zen-cart) and have no
> real understanding of php yet.
>
> I am interested in the idea of Linux on the desktop although I have to
> say that I have not yet seen/'managed to install'  a fully fledged
> desktop system without issues and having loose ends and unresolved
> issues so I don't quite believe its there yet (well for the newbie like
> me anyway :P ).
>
> Hope to have many enlightening conversations to come.
>
> Cheers,
> Dominic

> Virtual IRC meets every Sunday 8-10pm in #glug on irc.slashnet.org

Welcome Dominic,
I feel a desktop without issues is something that always seems simple in
theory to attain and somehow constantly illusive.
This month I have been trying out Libranet and Mandrake Move. I would
have tried out Knoppix 3.4 but the ISO would not burn properly for some
reason. I only mention just in case anyone else had the same problem.
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN.iso

A lot of the people in this LUG seem to like Debian so I will give that
another go seeing as everybody including me seems to have bought Linux
Magazine this month. As someone on this list recently chose to
scrutinize the email headers for traces of Microsoft software and
organise some sort of lynch mob it would be nice to 'apt-get evolution'
even if that mob was one person who was handed their coat and shown the
door.
It is tough to have an install day coming up when I really only use
GNU/Linux for hosting and actually just have Cygwin for the
administration. In a way it is a good thing that I find it so hard to
get things like Blackbox to run in X11R6 under Cygwin as I probably
would never make the transition to a Linux only install.

Sorry to ramble on. Again, welcome to the group.

Tom