[Gloucs] Hello - Knoppix

Tom Walker twalker at corruptive.co.uk
Thu May 13 16:24:24 BST 2004

David Greenaway wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 May 2004 22:55, Tom Walker wrote:
>

>>Welcome Dominic,
>>I feel a desktop without issues is something that always seems simple in
>>theory to attain and somehow constantly illusive.
>>This month I have been trying out Libranet and Mandrake Move. I would
>>have tried out Knoppix 3.4 but the ISO would not burn properly for some
>>reason. I only mention just in case anyone else had the same problem.
>>ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN.iso
>>

> Downloaded and burnt KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-10-EN.iso a couple of days ago with
> nothing more exotic than
>
> cdrecord -dev=0,0,0 -overburn  KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-10-EN.iso
>
> that worked fine. I did use an "80 min" disk.
>
> BTW someone was asking about a few weeks ago about committing knoppix to hard
> disk. I tried knoppix-installer, it doesn't give many options, and it comes
> with lots of warnings, but it seems (after a very quick look) to do what it
> says.
>
> Daivd

> Virtual IRC meets every Sunday 8-10pm in #glug on irc.slashnet.org
Hi David,
I did try this but it I could not get it to actuall install. At this
point a quick search found that other people who had managed it found
that using the apt command of any sort 'broke' the installation. The
suggestion was to use Mepis instead as some people on this list have
managed. I would do this but Mepis will not boot for me on Three
different machines.
Did you have any luck with a hard disk install of knoppix? - If that is
what you tried out.

Tom