[Gloucs] When car booting goes bad

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Sun Dec 18 18:00:42 GMT 2005

Wotcha all.

I was wandering around the car boot at the racecourse this morning and
was having a rummage through some interesting looking IBM boxes when the
stall holder said "It's all free. Take everything away". Well, I did
what any geek would do. Initially I stood over them like a growling dog
and then, after claming down I walked off with a good armful.

What I had grabbed was clearly network computers.

However, my joy was soon forgotten when a quick Google threw up that the
little beasties were token ring. I'm surprised that TR was still about
when these boxes were made. Even more surprised that somebody had once
bought these boxes.

So, any ideas what I can do with these? I guess with a TR card in my
server I could talk to one but do you get TR hubs to network them all?
Any advice on TR or these boxes will be gratefully received,
particularly if you can tell me whether it's worth getting some kit
together to get them working. Oh yeah, they didn't come with any power
supplies and require 18VAC. Like I said, when booting goes bad.

Piccies of one of the little darlings is at:
http://www.walmore.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/ibm8361-200-1.jpg
and
http://www.walmore.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/ibm8361-200-2.jpg (sorry
about the quality)